Sentence Word Order Activities | Grammar Games
File Type(s): PDF
Use this resource to introduce correct word order to your students! There are three activities included. Want more activities? Check out the grammar bundle!
- 1 set of build a sentence cards: Students will use the color code (rainbow order) to put the words in the correct order to build a sentence.
- 1 set of task cards: Students will use the images on each card to match them together and build a sentence with the correct word order. A recording page is included for students to write the sentence they created (optional).
- 1 worksheet: Students will read the statements and determine if the word order is correct or not.
What is word order important?
Sentence structure can be very complex. Understanding appropriate word order is a necessary foundational skill to build upon as students get older. These activities will help students understand that sentences begin with a subject, followed by a verb and predicate, and ending with a period. These terms (subject, predicate) are not used within this resource. Students will be exposed to sentence structure by building sentences and identifying correct or incorrect sentences.
How should I use this resource in my classroom?
- The build a sentence task cards can be used in small groups or with student partners. There are two sets of cards included: one set with numbers to provide additional support for students & one set without numbers to provide more of a challenge.
- The task cards can be used in small groups or with student partners. They will build sentences using the images on each card. When they have found all the cards with matching images, they will put the sentence parts in order and read the sentence aloud to make sure it ‘sounds right.’ If needed, they will write down the sentences that they build.
- The worksheet is two-sided. It can be used as homework, morning work, or an independent activity. Students will read each line and determine if the word order is correct or not.
Please leave feedback and get TpT credits towards future purchases!
✪Join my email club and receive a monthly freebie in my newsletter!✪